Search engine ranking factors are some of the most closely guarded secrets in online business. Google and other search engines don't publish exactly how they rank webpages in search results, because that would lead to massive gaming of the system and produce non-useful results.
Fortunately, you don't have to figure out how Google determines search engine rankings all by yourself. There's an entire industry of professionals who have a good handle on how search engine placement works based on their cumulative experiences. Better still, their collective wisdom has been collected and published by SEOmoz, a SEO consultancy and website. The top 37 search engine optimization ( SEO) professionals were asked to sort the 50+ factors that affect a website's search engine placement.
Here are the top 10 factors that positively affect your search engine rankings: (We go over each one in detail below.)
- Keyword Use in Title Tag
- Anchor Text of Inbound Links
- Global Link Popularity of Site
- Age of Site
- Link Popularity within the Site's Internal Link Structure
- Topical Relevance of Inbound Links to Site
- Link Popularity of Site in Topical Community
- Keyword Use in Body Text
- Global Link Popularity of Linking Site
- Topical Relationship of Linking Page
Article Source : http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/searchengineoptimization/a/search-ranking.htm